Strawberry pie is a real French classic! Be with us to learn how to make homemade French strawberry pie, the best combination of a sweet pastry crust, pastry cream, and fresh strawberries.
Ingredients for pie dough
- All-purpose flour: 2 ½ cups
- Freeze-dried strawberries: ½ cup
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Granulated sugar: 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Cold unsalted butter (cut into cubes): 14 tablespoons
- Ice cold water
- For the egg wash: 1 large egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon of milk
- For sprinkling: Turbinado sugar
Ingredients for the middle of the pie
- Fresh strawberries: 5-6 cups
- Zest and juice of a 1/2 lemon
- Vanilla extract: 1 teaspoon
- Almond extract: 1/4 teaspoon
- Granulated sugar: ½ cup
- Brown sugar: 1/3 cup
- Cornstarch or all-purpose flour: ¼ cup
- Salt: a pinch
- Ground ginger: ¼ teaspoon
or you can take a shortcut and order a Duncan Hines Wilderness Premium Pie Filling, which is made from the freshest strawberries picked at their peak to save time and get the best results. Using this healthy product, you can make homemade French strawberry pie in a much shorter time and get the same amazing result. You can see the product and buy it here:
How to make homemade French strawberry pie in the oven
- Keep ½ cup of ice-cold water in the fridge. Pulse flour, sugar, dried strawberries, and salt in a food processor. Then, add in 7 tablespoons of the butter and pulse for another 30 seconds. Add in the other half of the butter and pulse again until the mixture looks like a coarse meal.
- Pour about six tablespoons of the water over the mixture and pulse. If the dough does not come together in clumps, add a tablespoon of water at a time and pulse until it does.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Take the dough out of the processor. Bring the dough together and divide it into two disks, one of which is slightly bigger than the other one. Wrap the disks of dough in plastic wrap and let them chill for at least 1 hour or overnight. You can make the dough three days ahead if you keep it chilled.
- Before rolling out, let the dough stand at room temperature for a few minutes.
- Lightly flour a surface and roll out the larger disk to a large circle on it. Fit the dough into an ungreased 9-inch pie dish. Trim the edges of the circle while leaving 1 or 2 inches of overhang. Refrigerate for half an hour.
- Toss strawberries, zest, vanilla extract, almond extract, and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Add sugars, salt, cornstarch, and ground ginger and toss. Make sure berries are coated properly, and cornstarch disappears. Let the coated berries rest in the bowl for at least 10 minutes.
- Use a spoon to pour the strawberries into the pie crust. Pile them high in the center.
- Use the smaller dough for the lattice top by rolling it and cutting it into strips. Crimp their edges with a fork.
- Make the egg wash by whisking the egg and a tablespoon of milk in a small bowl. Use it to brush the top of the pie. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Chill for 15-30 minutes.
- Place the pie dish on a baking sheet. Bake it for about 60 minutes or until the crust gets golden brown and the filling looks bubbly.
- Before serving the pie, let it cool for at least two hours.
Key points in preparing homemade French strawberry pie
Although making a homemade strawberry pie seems easy and the result is delicious, many cannot bake a good one because they don’t know some key points. Here are tips that not everyone knows to help you get the best result.
- Keep the ingredients of your pie cold (preferably refrigerated).
- Refrigerate the pie dough after every step.
- Don’t handle the dough too much.
- Don’t use much flour when rolling the dough.
- Bake your pie on the lowest oven rank and preheat your sheet pan.
- Never forget to let the pie cool before serving.
Spring is the best time to buy fresh strawberries and use them in our daily diet. One of the best classic pastries made with strawberries is the French strawberry pie. Hope you try our homemade French strawberry pie recipe and enjoy the amazing taste and flavor of this French classic pie.